How to use Walmart Pay
Walmart Pay is a service provided through your Walmart app that lets you speed up the checkout process when you shop at Walmart stores. Use it to securely store your debit, credit and Walmart gift card information. You'll use the convenient operation of your smartphone to check out instead of pulling out your cards, cash or loose change.
Download the Walmart app
Downloading the Walmart app to your smartphone is a way to take advantage of many conveniences and savings to make your shopping easier, quicker, organized and enjoyable. Here are just a few of the services you have access to with the Walmart app:
- Fill prescriptions from the app
- Make a shopping list
- Scan product barcodes in-store to find prices, see product descriptions and read reviews
- Order photo prints directly from your phone's library
- See Weekly Ads
- Find a store
- Create and find a baby or wedding registry
The Walmart app is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Find the app in Google Play or the App Store, download it and sign into your account. You're ready to set up Walmart Pay and use our additional services.
Sign up for Walmart Pay
Once you've downloaded your Walmart app, it takes less than 60 seconds to set up Walmart Pay. After setup, you'll be able to use Walmart Pay from your smartphone each time you shop at any Walmart store.\
- Open your Walmart app.
- Tap Services at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap Walmart Pay.
- Select ""Set Up Walmart Pay.""
- Choose your preferred payment method. If you've already loaded multiple credit cards, debit cards or gift cards, you'll see all of them displayed. Choose the one you want to use with Walmart Pay. You can change this at any time. If you haven't added any payment methods yet or want to use a different one, tap the prompt that lets you add a debit or credit card. Choosing ""Not Now"" takes you to the screen where you can add a gift card.
- Accept the terms and conditions. Read the terms and conditions and press Continue if you agree with them. Choosing Cancel ends the sign-up procedure.
- Set up your four-digit passcode and Touch ID by choosing ""Go to Walmart Pay."" You'll be prompted to set up a passcode that you'll use each time you check out. You can also set up Touch ID at this time for an extra layer of security and quicker access to the app.
Use Walmart Pay at the store checkout
To use Walmart Pay, shop as usual at any Walmart store. When you're ready to check out, choose a self-pay lane or one assisted by a Walmart associate, just as you usually do.
- Scan your items as usual at the checkout lane.
- Use your Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) balances, such as WIC and SNAP before using Walmart Pay.
- Open your Walmart app, tap Services and tap Walmart Pay. Use Touch ID or enter your passcode to sign in.
- Your preferred method of payment will show at the bottom of the screen. If you have a gift card, that amount will automatically be used for payment first, unless you have it switched to ""off."" If you'd like to change to a different credit or debit card, tap the Settings icon (it looks like a gear) at the top of the screen, and tap on the card you want to use. Tap Done at the bottom, and you'll go back to the password page to complete your purchase.
- Hold your phone over the QR code that's displayed on the PIN pad. As your phone scans the QR code, your payment is quick and secure.
- Listen for the chime that indicates your purchase is confirmed. You'll also receive a message on your device when your eReceipt is ready.
- You're done now. There's no need to wait for a paper receipt; it's stored in your Walmart app.
Benefits of using Walmart Pay
Walmart Pay is designed to make your in-store shopping more convenient and secure. You also have a number of additional benefits:
- Simple returns: When you have an item to return, you don't have to worry about lost receipts or storing paper receipts. All of your receipts remain in your Walmart app for you to access any time.
- Green-friendly: By eliminating paper receipts, you're making one more contribution to energy conservation and a more eco-friendly Earth.
- Security: We use several layers of security to make sure your payment and personal information remains private. Our hardware technology — the scanners at the checkout stand — don't use near-field communication (NFC) but your smartphone instead. This means the signal created when you scan in Walmart Pay does not transmit to any financial institution, only to Walmart's server to say it's fine to make the purchase. Also, your password or TouchID is required each time you make a purchase. This ensures that no one else can use Walmart Pay if you lose your phone. You also forego the PIN pad at the scanner, so no one can see your card's passcode. Furthermore, your information is always encrypted over secure networks, and your card information doesn't transfer to the store itself.
- Budget-friendly: Because all of your Walmart purchases are kept in one place, you'll be able to quickly see how much you're spending each month on your groceries, household goods and other purchases.
What Walmart Pay cannot do
Walmart pay works in all Walmart stores, but it doesn't work at Walmart fuel pumps or Murphy USA gas stations. This is because the app doesn't connect directly to your bank. For the same reason, you can't use Walmart Pay to receive cash back at the checkout at Walmart stores, and it doesn't operate in Sam's Clubs."